- We love our camels and want you to get to know their delightful personalities.
- Marcus Williams, the 'camel man' has been working with camels for over 30 years.
- All tours aboard the gentle camels begin in the camel yards, just 20 minutes from the Alice Springs CBD.
- Chat with our friendly camel team about the long history of cameleering in Central Australia, their incredible experiences of catching wild camels in the Simpson Desert, walking solo through the desert with only camels for company, and every day life on an outback camel farm.
- Visit our ‘Camel Lounge’ to learn about camels, browse our camel-themed souvenirs, admire camel artwork, observe the camels at home in their yards, and enjoy the tranquility of Outback Australia.
- We're open 7 days a week.
- Tour includes complimenatry hotel pick up and drop off. Or you can self-drive to Pyndan Camel Tracks.
- Join Pyndan Camel Tracks for an unforgettable experience in Alice Springs that will be the highlight of your trip.
- Pyndan Camel Tracks is a family run business since 2000 offering a memorable and relaxing camel ride experience in Australia’s Red Centre.
What do I need to bring?
Wear sun-smart clothing including a hat and sunscreen, bring a camera, water bottle and your sense of adventure. Comfortable footwear is best including sandels. Bring a day pack if you wish.
Almost every day we see kangaroos and wallabies, many birds including budgies and birds of prey, and often lizards.
If you want, Marcus will borrow your camera and take your photo on our gentle camels from this adavantage point. You are welcome to take as many photos as you want on the ride or back home at the camel yards.
Where is Pyndan Camel Tracks and free transfers
Only 20 minutes from Alice Springs township. Don't worry if you don't have your own transport. We'll transfer you to and from your accommodation for free half an hour prior to ride departure.
It easy to drive yourself. Check reception at your accommodation for our brochure that has a map. Or visit our website for directions at http://www.cameltracks.com/map/
When is Pyndan Camel Tracks open?
We are open during the afternoon tour times every day except 24-26 December (Christmas). Sorry we don’t offer short rides or farm tours because when we aren't on tour we are training camels to make sure that they are well prepared for our visitors.
How many people ride on each camel? Can kids ride a camel safely?
Our camels are tied in a ‘string’ or ‘camel train’ rather than free riding and each camel can carry 2 persons. Depending on the number of people on tour, 1 or 2 people will ride each camel. You get to choose your companion to ride with on camel back; our experienced cameleers will choose who sits in front or back for safety reasons. Although camels are quite tall, it is safe for children and their resposible adult will sit in the saddle seat behind a child. Children under 3 years old must sit on a parent's lap.
Do you have a camel shop?
Yes, we have a souvenir shop where you can buy postcards of the camel you rode and other camel-themed souvenirs. You can also get free water, tea or coffee.
Are there other camel tour operators in Alice Springs?
Pyndan Camel Tracks is the only company offering camel rides in Alice Springs.
What happens if there are cancellations?
Cancellations made within 7 days of booking arrival date incur a 100% cancellation fee. Cancellations made with more than 7 days notice incur an administration charge of 30% of total booking fee.
We encourage our customers to purchase travel insurance to cover any unforeseen circumstances.
If a situation beyond the control of Pyndan Camel Tracks arises, and Pyndan Camel Tracks have to cancel the tour, then a 100% refund applies. Don't worry! Cancellations are very rare. Alice Springs is in a desert environment and the average annual rainfall is only around 200mm, if we get that! When it does rain or has been raining recently we'd have to cancel for safety reasons. Wet weather makes the track slippery and we value your comfort and the safety and nerves of our gentle camels—our ships of the desert. If we had to cancel, we will endeavour to contact you through your hotel or supplied contact number. Hopefully we could arrange another time for you to come on our scenic rides, or a special visit to pat our gentle giants.
We reserve the right to alter the times of tours or cancel tours without notice. Sorry! Camels are hardy desert creatures but on rare occasions one of our hard workers can get sick. We usually have a spare camel, however, in case we don’t or the others are still in training, we want to make sure that your safety is paramount. Marcus has been training camels for 30 years and his camels are great!
How many people can ride the camel train?
Our one hour tour can take 1 to 14 riders.
Are there any terms or conditions?
We ask that passengers reconfirm their booking at least 24–48 hours in advance by phoning or texting the camel hotline to 0416 170 164. You can check your transfer time when you reconfirm.